You need to Log in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

You need to Log in!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Guide to Writing

+2
Luffy
Merci
6 posters

:: Tutorials

Go down

Guide to Writing Empty Guide to Writing

Post by Merci 9/11/2010, 7:10 am

Okay, current writers, future writers, if you've ever been a writer, I'd love for you to read this and give me some feedback. This is a guide on what I think it takes to be a good writer. If you want something added in, put it in a post and I'll make it happen. Otherwise, this will probably go over much days of editing to finish.

-Future Writers-

Okay, from the top, have you ever thought about trying to write a book or story? Well, you may be like I was, afraid no one will care, and if you do work up the courage to type it up and post it, it isn't read. This is okay! This just means that people don't know your trying to be a writer yet.

Grammar. You want good grammar. No one wants to read a story that is a big wall of text floating around the page. Don't use many effects beyond italics and bolding, and try not to leave anything like "..." in there to show a pause. Instead, type out "He/She paused". Punctuate, leave periods at the end of sentences and use commas when needed. Capitalization. Capitalize proper nouns like names of people or places, and the beginning of every sentence.

Now, the popularity of your book or story usually depends a lot on your own popularity level. That being said, don't worry if your not all that popular! Here's a few tips I like to call "Attention Grabbing" tips, but some ignorant others who don't bother looking at the real life situation of writers may call them "Attention Whoring" tips. That's also okay.

• Always let people know your going to write, maybe make a prologue, and ask people to read it. Give them a clear idea of what its about
  • Encourage feedback! Sometimes people may not want to hurt your feelings with bad or critical comments, but if you encourage the to post good or bad feedback, they may decide to.
  • Post your story or book on multiple forums or sites! This way you get feedback from all around, and you can make your story better. Allies of the clans sites are a good place to start.

Now, once you've done all of that, you need to get off the ground. To get off the ground, so to speak, you may need to repeat the above steps several times. You may be wondering what I mean by this. Well, to get "off the ground", you need people to be hooked. By that, I mean they need to be people who are eager to read the next chapter. Here's how to get them hooked.

• Leave cliffhangers, a cliffhanger is a part in a story where there is a small climax of activity, bu its cut short by the ending of a chapter and continues into the next.
  • Apply their feedback, and let them know it! If they think your applying their ideas (And you should be) they will probably read to see what you did with it.
  • Get help! If you have someone to bounce ideas off of, then they will likely read to see what became of your idea-spawning session with them.

Okay, now that your off the ground, keep writing! You now have a good hold on your readers, a good way to get them to read, your set! Got questions? Post below!

-Current Writers-

Okay, so, you've got your story, maybe you don't think its all that good? Well, usually, its not your skills as a writer that aren't that good, inf act, you could be top notch and still end up at the bottom of the chain. No, usually its your inspiration. Okay, so you've got your idea and it goes good for four or five chapters, but suddenly you realize your at the end of your idea, and don't know where to go with it. Well, here's a good time to go back, read the feedback, and apply it.

To apply the feedback in a way that makes a difference, you may need to alter the storyline a bit. That's okay! Why? Well, lets speculate, if your story wasn't going so well because the format was bad, or the excitement in the story just wasn't enough, doesn't that corrupt your storyline to? To apply it in this way, first you need to find the specific parts you went wrong at, and change them to be good. Easy right? Wrong, a lot of times you don't know where you went wrong, or even, its not important what the author thinks when it comes to that, its what the readers think.

This is where things may get complicated. You need to ask the readers where you think you went wrong, and it doesn't always go over so well. So, you need to make sure you are blunt about it, make sure you get all of the feedback, apply it, and see what the readers think. Note, don't go overboard, or you may end up screwing up the whole story, or ending up back where you started. Repeat with each chapter until your readers like it. Now, don't let me get you confused, if its something major plot-wise, you may want to keep it the same. Or, if its something you feel absolute is the way it should be, you may want to keep it the same just in case. Repeat until perfect!

Okay, now, you may have other problems. Got your story off the ground but can't quite keep it floating? Readers all left you? These are just bullets to help you out.

• Try to keep a good plot going like Liz stated. Stick to one thing, or maybe that main thing or many other smaller things.
  • As Ravi said, action isn't everything. Try to get some character development going.
  • Take breaks! If you need a break, release filler or just let things play out while your on that break, just be sure to remember where you are!

-Other Info-
All of this info was added by others, I do not take credit! These are quotes from GoD, Requiem, and Hammer members. Let this be a lesson in learning to apply feedback fairly, just not this lazily. Wink

Vampiel wrote:Some other rules for writing- Keep your story in its perspective. 1st person, 3rd person, and any others you can think of have their own set of grammar rules. Be true to them and your story will keep its own.

Be original- Let your writings have a flair that only you put in it, subtle or not. Myself, for instance, tries to leave imaginative scenarios of humor, for all types of humor, when I can. I also use a lack of detail, detailing what the person in perspective notices, leaving rich doors open in case I desire to change something ahead of time.

Find a particular subject to write about- Most writers stick to one specific cause of writing, because they can do it well.. Myself, as an example, love fantasy. Fiction is my style, and keeping to historical ties is my downfall.

When writing, make sure you make sure your sure about what your going to write about ahead of time. The leading cause of writers block is just that- Poor planning. Plan ahead, build a base storyline, and build upon it.

Raviel wrote:I would like to add, that not every chapter in your story has to be action packed and exciting. There will be some chapters where you are simply building a character or lead up to some action.

And when accepting feedback, it is okay to alter parts of your writing, but keeping the story line your own is the whole point of the story.

When it comes to writing use a level of detail; enough to paint a picture to the reader, but let the reader also use their own imagination to create the story as their own.

Lizargeco wrote:I'd add a few other things.... First, Vocabulary. It doesn't really have to be as refined as you think. What matters is how effectively you get your idea across. Don't be too wordy, or use phrases not easily understood. Sure, for ending remarks, or significant pieces of dialogue, you may want some ambiguity, after all, it's the character talk, not you (you're off scott free!) But when it comes down to narration, and description, remember that you're making the reader's observations for them. If they can't understand what they're supposedly thinking about, they can't get very far in your story.

Another thing is plot. It is very important to the story, but not as difficult to organize as imagined. You can be inspired by things, but PLEASE refrain from stealing conflicts from other stories. That's like shooting yourself in the foot before the race. Who cares how well written it is, if it's not original, it's as good as dead. You can borrow concepts, ideas, characters, but.... originality really is key. If you can't "surprise" your reader, they're not going to bother reading what they know will happen, now will they?

Merci
Merci
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Status Update : Climbin' in your windows, snatchin' your people up.

Back to top Go down

Guide to Writing Empty Re: Guide to Writing

Post by Luffy 9/11/2010, 9:11 am

Very detailed and very good I'll read the whole thing later. Give him some credits for this James. He deserves it.
Luffy
Luffy
Crown
Crown

Status Update : 'Screw you guys, I'm going home' - Eric Cartman

Back to top Go down

Post by punkboy011 9/11/2010, 9:55 am

I agree with markiin on giving him so credit
punkboy011
punkboy011
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Status Update : Pwning all

Back to top Go down

Post by Luffy 9/11/2010, 3:02 pm

I'm thinking 2000? This guide would help alot of people who want to write short stories and more.
Luffy
Luffy
Crown
Crown

Back to top Go down

Post by Merci 9/11/2010, 3:42 pm

It all just comes from experience. And my love for all literature.
Merci
Merci
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Back to top Go down

Post by Deysiree 9/11/2010, 5:36 pm

There should be a tutorials section, where every new, successful one gets credits. Good job Merci.
Deysiree
Deysiree
Crown
Crown

Back to top Go down

Post by James 9/11/2010, 5:41 pm

That's actually a good idea. Any rejects?
James
James
Judge
Judge

Status Update : I'm the leader, biotch.

Back to top Go down

Post by Merci 9/11/2010, 6:42 pm

James wrote:That's actually a good idea. Any rejects?
Rejects? You mean objections? Lolwut?

Anyways, I think that's a great idea.
Merci
Merci
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Back to top Go down

Post by Luffy 10/11/2010, 4:24 am

Me too. I approve.
Luffy
Luffy
Crown
Crown

Back to top Go down

Post by James 10/11/2010, 6:44 am

I failed there, but yeah, let's make that section.
James
James
Judge
Judge

Status Update : I'm the leader, biotch.

Back to top Go down

Post by Luffy 10/11/2010, 11:02 am

How did you fail? Razz
Luffy
Luffy
Crown
Crown

Back to top Go down

Post by Merci 10/11/2010, 3:21 pm

MarkiiN07 wrote:How did you fail? Razz
Spelling. =/
Merci
Merci
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Back to top Go down

Post by Skull 11/11/2010, 3:21 am

Merci wrote:
MarkiiN07 wrote:How did you fail? Razz
Spelling. =/
I think it's a wrong choice of word.
Skull
Skull
Legate
Legate

Status Update : You know ;)

Back to top Go down

Post by Luffy 11/11/2010, 5:41 am

I'm still confused T_T
Luffy
Luffy
Crown
Crown

Back to top Go down

Post by Merci 11/11/2010, 1:07 pm

Even I'm confused now. xD
Merci
Merci
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Back to top Go down

Post by Luffy 11/11/2010, 2:43 pm

Seriously why do you guys make this so damn confusing?
Luffy
Luffy
Crown
Crown

Back to top Go down

Post by Merci 11/11/2010, 8:59 pm

Its their job. Anyways, thanks for the feedback. =3
Merci
Merci
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Back to top Go down

Post by Luffy 11/11/2010, 10:53 pm

Welcome.
Luffy
Luffy
Crown
Crown

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content